Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jackson and Teahen Traded, De Aza Called Up

Today has been a busy day for the White Sox. Last night De Aza was pulled from his game in Charlotte and was sent to Chicago. Nobody was certain whether he was going to be used in a trade or if he was being called up. We learned today that he was called up and will start in place of Alex Rios in center field. I like this move. Rios needed to sit for awhile. He wasn't playing well at the plate or in the field. De Aza should provide a little more hustle in the field and should be able to provide a little offense. He can't be worse than Rios, so I like this move a lot.

The other move that was made was that Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen were traded to Toronto for Jason Frasor, a reliever, and Zack Stewart, a pitching prospect. When I first saw this trade, I didn't like it at all. Now that I think about it more and more, I don't think it's that bad of a trade. Frasor has a good ERA and should be a good addition to our solid bullpen. Stewart isn't a great prospect, but our farm system is very good for churning out pitchers so I trust that the Sox' system will make him a better pitcher that we can either use in a trade next year or make him someone that will be ready to move up to the big leagues in a few years.

I never liked the Edwin Jackson trade. Daniel Hudson has a lot of potential and I didn't want to see that go. I felt like Kenny Williams saw that Jackson had a no-hitter and thought he was a fantastic pitcher. In reality, Jackson isn't a great pitcher. He throws too many pitches, has terrible control, and always gives up too many runs in the beginning of the game. I'm glad he's gone.

I didn't really like the Mark Teahen trade either. I thought the Sox gave up too much. I liked Getz and thought he could be a good 2B for the Sox for a long time. Now the Sox have Beckham playing second and he plays it beautifully. I'm happier with this trade now, but Teahen was being payed too much money. The Sox needed to get rid of that contract. I liked the way that Teahen had been playing. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. He was good to put in when Morel wasn't playing well. Now Morel has the reins at third base. I think he can handle it.

Overall, I think this trade was good. The Sox got some pitching and got rid of the guys they needed to get rid of. I also like the calling up of De Aza. I look forward to seeing him play tonight. Hopefully he'll get a couple hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment