Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Santos Traded, Buehrle Signed. Where do Sox go from here?

Earlier today it was confirmed that Mark Buehrle would sign with the Miami Marlins. This is a day that will live in infamy for White Sox fans. The day that one of the most consistent and leading pitchers left Chicago. There are many people out in White Sox land hoping that this is just a dream and that somehow the White Sox will still find a way to get Buehrle back. I know this because I had a similar thought when I found out that he would be leaving. I was one of those delusional fans that thought that the White Sox would still sign him despite everything being against them. Now that my delusional feelings can officially be ended, I have a few things to say about Buehrle leaving. The first is that the White Sox lost a very important player. When you think White Sox the first players that come to mind are Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle. The White Sox no longer have one of their franchise players, and Konerko will have to retire eventually. A big question is who will take over as the face of the franchise. The second thing I have to say is that I'm going to miss him a lot because he was one of my favorite players to ever wear a White Sox jersey. Finally, the last thing I want to say is that the White Sox organization screwed up by not doing whatever possible to keep him here. He has been the White Sox ace and the most consistent starter for years. He has won a World Series game and saved a World Series game. He threw a no-hitter and a perfect game. Through thick and thin, he has been there and I don't know what the White Sox will do without him. He will be missed and I can't help but think that the Sox could've tried a little harder to keep him.

In other news, earlier this week Sergio Santos was traded to the Blue Jays for a pitching prospect. The prospect is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not sure if losing the closer is worth it. It seems like Kenny Williams has started to begin rebuild time. Now the Sox don't have an ace, a closer, and their setup man is on the trading block. One of their best relievers has been moved up to the rotation and everything is a mess. I don' know where the White Sox go from here, but it doesn't look good and 2012 is going to be a long baseball season.

No comments:

Post a Comment